Our mission is simple. We exist to invite anyone and everyone into the unending ocean of grace that comes through Jesus alone. That's it! We are so experiencing God's love, mercy, and grace that we can't wait to welcome others into the freedom God is bringing us.
Inside our House, we do that through Anchors. Outside our House, we do that through City Groups.
(Matthew 5:14-17, Matthew 28:19-20, 1 Corinthians 9:19-22, 2 Corinthians 5:20-21, Romans 15:5-7)
- We believe in the accuracy, truth, authority, and power of the Holy Scriptures as the Word of God.
- We believe in one God, who has revealed Himself in and through the person of Jesus. God exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - each distinct, yet all of One essence.
- We believe Jesus Christ to be the virgin born Son of God, who, as a human being on earth, died for the sins of the world, was buried, rose again, and ascended to the Father.
- We believe that the death of Jesus Christ was the once and for all sacrifice made for everyone and available to all mankind. Salvation is obtained by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. All who recognize their brokenness in sin, realize that they are separated from God, repent, and receive Jesus Christ as Savior are born again into eternal life as children of God.
- We believe that life on earth is to be lived in the power of the Holy Spirit, who indwells believers, enabling them to live distinctive lives in the life and power of Christ, drawing others back to God the Father through Jesus.
- We believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit that we see exercised in the Scriptures have not ceased with the death of the last Apostle or the closing of the New Testament canon. They are available today and are to be eagerly desired and practiced according to the Scriptures for the purpose of edifying the church and to turn our attention to Christ.
- We believe the Westminster Confession: “the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.” All things exist for the glory of God.
- We believe the church functions according to the Scriptures in localized communities of believers. We love the church as Christ loves the church.
Over 10 years ago, our pastor, Derek, and his wife, Beth, felt a stirring in their hearts to plant a church in Jacksonville Beach. They had a desire to reach the diverse collection of people that are drawn towards the ocean to find fulfillment, hope, and life. The original vision was as it says in Romans 1, that people's affection never terminate on creation but ultimately lift the eyes of their heart up to the creator.
With those simple thoughts and calling, they walked into River City Church, in downtown Jacksonville, and heard something that day that confirmed this desire. RCC became their church home, and shortly after, Derek became the Director of Student Ministries, and a church planter in waiting. During that time, Derek was ordained at RCC, was appointed as an Elder, and spent 5 years pointing students to Jesus.
In the summer of 2010, Derek began leading one of RCC's community groups in Jacksonville Beach. And from that community group and core team, Ocean City Church was born.
Ocean City Church and River City Church, our planting church, are both part of a larger network of churches that stretch across the globe called the Friends of St. Mary's.